Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My God is So Big

Last Saturday, I had to take Arabelle to meet her preschool teachers for the first time.  Arabelle has been talking about going to school nonstop for the past six months.  She's been wearing her pink ladybug backpack everyday; she has woken up each morning, begging for THIS day to be the day school begins.  Saturday morning, she was so excited... and I was waiting...waiting for the terror to hit.  She lasted longer than I thought; all the way up until we walked into her classroom.  And then...the eyes started to well up with tears, the shaking began...and by the time we left the building, I had a completely hysterical child.  She wailed and sobbed and shuddered...and no matter what I did, I couldn't get her to calm down...and I thought Wow, Monday is going to be tough.

 Come Monday morning, I woke up with this thought:  I pray to a God who puts kings in power, topples governments, controls the sky and sea...and He cares about EVERYTHING...even a 3-year-old's fear of preschool.  There are men in government right now, praying to God to change the direction their country is headed in..and yet, in that same moment,  I can  be bowing my head in prayer that my 3-year-old isn't too scared today to do something that she's wanted to do for a long time...go to school.  All morning I prayed, and Arabelle walked into that class (albiet reluctantly) without shedding a tear.

It all may seem silly...but it's how I tend to view our adoption.  We wanted to adopt and couldn't stop praying, dreaming and hoping about it for months and months.  But when the time came to enter the unfamiliar landscape of financial strain, another country's whimsy, mounds of paperwork, etc, I felt hysterical a lot of the time and spent the other part in quiet, but frantic worry.  But ....why?  I serve a God who can provide so much more than all the money in the world can provide, a God who can change the course of a country's history in a single breath...and a God who cares about an alone, 2-year-old girl in Ethiopia.  My girls have been walking around our house lately singing that Sunday School song "My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God can not do...for you."  It's soo easy to sing that song...and sooo easy to forget the impact it could have on our daily life - our peace of mind - if we truly believed it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the timely reminder, Kerri! (and thanks for getting that song stuck in my head :))

    ReplyDelete