Thursday, April 12, 2012

Nairobi or Bust!

Ever since our paperwork has landed at the Embassy, I wake up each morning, jolt out of bed, and rush to my computer to see if there are any emails.  Since Ethiopia sleep time is our awake time, I often find myself stumbling downstairs at 3 in the morning to see if anything was sent. :-)

 I was able to spend Tuesday morning happy dancing around my kitchen when we received the miraculous news that Jason and Jessica, the couple submitted to embassy with us CLEARED.   In 6 short DAYS.  The investigation of the case itself is supposed to take WEEKS.  AND their case is an abandonment case...just like ours!  This just does NOT happen with abandonment cases right now!!  We were OVERJOYED for them.   And...then that joy also turned into a great big swirly lollipop of hope being dangled in front of us.  We had fasted and prayed together with Jason and Jessica all day before being submitted to the embassy...surely our happy dance time was coming!

I slept little Tuesday night...just waiting for my 3 AM email.  No such luck.

I slept even less Wednesday night....CERTAIN the email would be there this morning.  There WAS an email...but not the one I wanted.  As I read it...the first thing that popped out was "insufficient evidence" and the next was "Nairobi."

Alas, we have NOT cleared.  We will be sent to Nairobi for them to decide our fate.  To say that I wasn't disappointed, would be a lie.  I sooo badly want to go and get Elora.  I sooo desperately want to go to embassy with Jason and Jessica! 

But then Perspective hit...we are being sent to Nairobi after a mere 8 days!  Hallelujah!  There are cases that have been sitting at the embassy for weeks upon weeks and are ONLY now being processed.  A friend's case sat for 7 months!  He moved hearts of stone in Jason and Jessica's case...I have no doubt.  And He is doing the same in ours!  I know with assurance - I mean, REALLY, TRULY know -  that God's hands are on our case and that He is in control. 

I have been mulling over how to pray with Faith but not pray with  Assumptions alll week.  I always find it a struggle to "pray without ceasing" and believe that He can do "immeasurably more than all I can ask or imagine" while at the same time, knowing that I may not really get the outcome I want. 

But after our news today...I think I understand it a little better.  All I know to do is keep petitioning the Throne every moment of the day for Elora to be home..and home quickly!  I believe that God is greater than Nairobi...greater than the Estimated Time It Will Take.  And even if the answer comes back in a way that I don't like I have His reassurance that He is in control.  That He is faithful.  That He cares for my baby...and she is precious to Him.  That He heard my request but His way and timing is always better for me.

This morning, right before receiving the embassy email, I went to read my devotions and instead, my Bible fell open to Psalm 72...the whole Psalm is about God's power over all the rulers of nations...and about His love and care for the needy and afflicted ones...  Guess what nation is specifically mentioned in that Psalm?  Sheba!  Or what is now known as Ethiopia!! :-)





1 comment:

  1. hey sweet friend,
    I'm only just reading this post now, though I think maybe you told me about this latest development when we talked last week... once again, you've beautifully illustrated both the grief and the grace of God's hand in your journey. It's such a privilege for me to see God's perfection revealed through your adoption of Elora. As always, we're praying that you'll receive the news you're so longing to get SOON!

    ReplyDelete